South & West Yorkshire County Priory Group
The Priory of England and the Islands is one of eleven international Priories of the Order of St John, and our work of providing First Aid Training and Services is carried out on our behalf by our subsidiary St John Ambulance, England's premier first aid charity.
South and West Yorkshire County Priory Group (CPG) undertakes the important work of the Priory at a county level and has a wide range of important responsibilities including:
- Being local ambassadors for St John
- Working closely with Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant or their representatives
- Developing strong positive relationships with key local community leaders
- Overseeing nominations for Honours and Awards
- Promoting faith aspects of the Order of St John through County Chaplains
- Liaising with the St John Fellowship and former members who can provide support and help to local CPGs
- Organising fundraising at a local level in conjunction with the Head of Priory and CPG Affairs and the Fundraising Department
- Overseeing the maintenance of the St John county archives
- Helping to support the work of the St John Eye Hospital Group in Jerusalem and St John Associations overseas
- Arranging an annual Organ Donor Award Ceremony in partnership with NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT)
- Supporting the work of St John Ambulance whenever possible
The Chair of each CPG is appointed by the Prior, the Deputy Chair by the Chancellor with other members of the CPG being appointed by the CPG Chair. Membership of the group is usually no more than twelve people and aims to include:
- Deputy Chair
- County Chaplain
- County President
- HM Lord-Lieutenant (or representative)
- St John Fellowship representative
- CPG Honorary Secretary
- SJA District Manager
- Members with interests and skills such as fundraising, public relations, archiving and marketing to enable the CPG to deliver its strategy and objectives
The County Priory Group (CPG) in South & West Yorkshire is only small in numbers and during 2016 there will be a drive to recruit additional members, including a new St John Ambulance President for the County.
Within the Group we have a County Honours & Awards Committee (CHAC) who work closely with the District Managers to seek out nominations for those who are felt worthy to be recommended for admission to The Order of St John of Jerusalem.
Members of the CPG take a keen interest in the work of St John Ambulance at local level and keep in touch with national activities through the various publications.
One of the members of the CPG is the coordinator of the St John Fellowship in South & West Yorkshire and another member serves as the local representative in the County for the St John Eye Hospital in Jerusalem.
Anyone reading this page who would be interested in hearing more about the work of the County Priory Group in South & West Yorkshire is invited to contact the Chair of the Group – Gordon Tollefson.
For more information about the group or upcoming events please contact:
CPG Chair – Gordon Tollefson