Hertfordshire County Priory Group
The Priory of England and the Islands is one of eleven international Priories of the Order of St John, and our work of providing First Aid Training and Services is carried out on our behalf by our subsidiary St John Ambulance, England's premier first aid charity.
Hertfordshire County Priory Group (CPG) undertakes the important work of the Priory at a county level and has a wide range of important responsibilities including:
- Being local ambassadors for St John
- Working closely with Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant or their representatives
- Developing strong positive relationships with key local community leaders
- Overseeing nominations for Honours and Awards
- Promoting faith aspects of the Order of St John through County Chaplains
- Liaising with the St John Fellowship and former members who can provide support and help to local CPGs
- Organising fundraising at a local level in conjunction with the Head of Priory and CPG Affairs and the Fundraising Department
- Overseeing the maintenance of the St John county archives
- Helping to support the work of the St John Eye Hospital Group in Jerusalem and St John Associations overseas
- Arranging an annual Organ Donor Award Ceremony in partnership with NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT)
- Supporting the work of St John Ambulance whenever possible
The Group currently has seven members including the Chair, Lord- Lieutenant for Hertfordshire, St John Ambulance District Manager (West Anglia), St John County Chaplain, an Hon. Secretary and two other members, one who is Chair of the County Honours & Awards Committee and the other who specialises in financial matters.
Each year the Group organises an Annual County Awards Ceremony to recognise the work of our volunteers and in the Autumn will be holding the third Order of St John Award for Organ Donation ceremony where the presentation of the award marks an important step in the recognition given to loved ones whose organ donation has given the gift of life and hope to others.
Also each year, the Chair of the Group organises participation in the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate, Ypres, Belgium where wreaths are laid on behalf of St John Ambulance and the order of St John, to remember the members who lost their lives in World War One. Considerable research has been carried out into the names on the St John Ambulance Role of Honour, which we are happy to share with researchers.
The Chair and Deputy Chair of each CPG are appointed by the Priory Chancellor with other members of the CPG being appointed by the CPG Chair. Membership of the group is usually no more than twelve people and aims to include:
- Deputy Chair
- County Chaplain
- County President
- HM Lord-Lieutenant (or representative)
- St John Fellowship representative
- CPG Honorary Secretary
- SJA District Manager
- Members with interests and skills such as fundraising, public relations, archiving and marketing to enable the CPG to deliver its strategy and objectives
Currently there are vacancies for CPG members particularly those who have experience and expertise in the areas of Fundraising, Marketing, Events and Honours & Awards.
For more information about the group or upcoming events please contact:
CPG Chair – Brian Wingate